Sunday, December 6, 2009

What started it all

It was a visit from a Jehovah’s Witness knocking on my door a few years ago that started my new quest for enlightenment. She was very nice and not at all dismayed to be told I was an atheist, in fact she seemed quite pleased. We had a good chat about the Ancient Assyrians and as I had only a hazy idea of what a Jehovah’s Witness believed in, I asked her in for a cup of tea. It had been some years since I had read or listened to the bible – not since school probably.

So it was interesting to re-read the bible in an effort to understand the hand-outs the Jehovah’s Witness gave me. After a few visits we agreed to disagree but she had got me thinking. I had discovered the joys of the book of Job and the wonderful language and stories of the Old and New Testaments. But I was more than ever unimpressed by the God described there.

Talking to the Jehovah’s Witness revealed to me that I was genuinely uninterested in a life after death, that I thought that even if there was a god or gods that they may not necessarily care about humans or be interested in punishing or judging us. We seemed to take care of that ourselves. But most of all it seemed to me that the idea of a god was a human projection primarily designed to deal with our fears – of dying, of loss and of loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment